Wishlist for RaceChrono v2 for Android

Here's the wishlist for v2.20 for Android. Cleaned up it a bit and deleted some unrelated messages from the thread (12th Feb 2012). If you have a new feature request please just create a new thread about it.

Analyzing mode:
- Multiple session should be able to be loaded at once. Allows comparison and optimal lap calculation between any number of sessions.
-• Power at the wheels generation or power curve generation
-• Option for white/black background color for graphs
-• Live replay of recorded data (map+graph)
-• Friction circle graph
-• Lap time chart as graph
-• New map graph; show where you are faster than the comparison lap in green, and where slower as red.
-• Ability to draw curbs over satellite imagery
-• Math channels
-• Data smoothing algorithms
-• Braking tests

Live Timer
-• Automatic pause and resume
-• Audio notices of better/worse sectors and laps
-• Configurable timer freeze lengths
-• GPS/OBD2/DataLogger screens with all the values visible at once, maybe some debug info too.
-• Sector-to-sector timing in addition to the current start-to-split timing (for Nordschleife mainly)
-• Predictive lap time (comparison and actual time)
-• Larger lap counter
-• Configurable timer screen (drag & drop?)
-• Spoken lap times
-• One button click comparison lap time setting (for reliability racing)
-• Video recording with overlaid gauges
-• Automatic track creation

Exporting:
-• Better lap/sector times exports
-• Better DataLogger/OBD2 data exports (currently most of the data is lost)
-• Selectable interpolation for export data at least 24-25-30-60hz
-• Export to MoTeC/RacePak/Race Technology

Data logger features:
-• Accelerometer support
-• Gyroscope support with lean angle and drift angle calculation
-• Auto-mark invalid too slow laps
-• Automatically stop recording while stopped

Cloud features:
-• Twitter/SMS/Email for real time data
-• Data push and pull to external server

Special hardware to support:
-• Parrott Asteroid
-• PS Vita

Other:
-• TerraTrip rally computer functionality
-• Option to automatically drop incoming phone calls while in session.
-• Reverse tracks option
-• Automatically create a temporary track if no start/finish set
-• Pressure units in bar/kPa/PSI
-• Support USB devices ?
-• Session name visible in file system for easier session file search

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Output:
    • $RCSend string compiled output for COM, BT, File so other devices can read from Racechrono

Input:
    • User definable input string values

Analyzing mode:
    • User definable DataLogging names / value type (whole numbers or decimal numbers eg 1 or 1.0)
    • User definable graph colours and ablity to display single or multiple lines as thicker lines on the fly for easier viewing

Other 'cool stuff' (not really a need :) )
    • The ability to connect your race chrono up to other racechrono 'friends' and show a group view in real time of how your added 'friends' are doing (would require use of internet / server and mobile data)

• 3d view mode for altitude

• Realtime playback of session and maybe multiple sessions with either yourself or other 'friends' racechrono files as an overlay "shoot out" mode

Will keep posting more as I think of them
  • aol,

Said it before, and will say it again, great program and thanks for all the hard work.

As for Android I'm looking forward to this release!

For Android I have two things.
    One: Don't forget about the proliferation of Android Tablets. A 7" Android tablet would make a nice large display for Lap timing.

Two: Widgets. Having the ability to make a customizable display would be nice. One person might just want lap time and speed, another might want Lap Time, Last split and Throttle position, yet a third may want a very small lap time display with throttle position, Engine Temp, Track View (think GT5 track HUD), best time, Speed and Lateral G. Having a Lap home screen with selectable displays would be invaluable. I think this is even more important with a tablet size display, but would even be nice on my 4.3" phone display.

Thanks again aol.
  • I got an idea similar to hybridnz:
    Some kind of output message _to_ the datalogger, e.g. completed lap, passing split line, ...
    Could be used to trigger some events.
  • edited December 2011
    aol,

I have a thought for you.

The blackberry playbook will support Android apps, to a certain extent. As far as my limite intelligence can figure out it will support apps that we're written in the open source framework, but not those in the close source framework (google NDK for example).

Currently the playbook is selling for 1/2 the price of a comparable Android tablet. It might be easily possible to allow racechrono to be ported to the playbook and would open up another, admittedly limited, user base.

If its possible please keep this in mind.

Thanks for all the hard work.
    Kyle
  • Hello!
    I´m a user of RaceChrono (Win CE) on the Nürburgring Nordschleife and find it great.
    I.ve read this thread and noticed that Predictive LapTiming is planned. What I´m missing in all PLT-programms, and therefore would like to suggest, is the posibillity to set a reference laptime (one button click). This is because we are racing GLP Regularity Test ( http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events/motorsports-events/glp-gleichmaessigkeitspruefung.html) One reference lap has to be confirmed three times as exactly as possible.
    Since I´m not so involved in the android OS: would the new android version, for better readability on track, be working on a tablet too? (See previous comment too)
    A Happy New Year to all
    Berend
  • edited January 2012
    aol, a nice to have from me.

When saving the session data to the` session` folder, can you change the file naming format to something like

#sessiontitle#date#time.xxx

I was recently looking through my sessions folder trying to find a particular file to import / export into another app and it was hard to find the actual session I wanted.

When reviewing data, can you add a filter, ie a particular circuit, so I can review sessions from each visit to that circuit easily. I have a LOT of sessions (I create a new session each time I go on track, I`ve lost data before when either the PDA or App crashed at the end of the day, so always create individual sessions now). Currently, you have to scroll through all the sessions to find the ones from the track you want.
  • @jrbe
    @aol

I have the same thoughts.
    Bluetooth connection with two devices (GPS and Datalogger) is workig good, if setup is done carefully. But I always prefer a wired link, which can supply power to the phone too.
    So I plan to build a device capable of doing datalogging and gps-reception in one: http://daniduke.bplaced.net/WiredRaceData.pdf
    In the meantime I did some research and it seems that android since 2.3 supports the Prolific PL2303 USB-serial-converter. The device should show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 or 1.
    Maybe you can add support for that.

Another idea to feed the cloud hype:
    $RMC and $RC1 data should be received not only over Bluetooth, but via a configurable UDP Port and/or it could be send out via UDP to a configurable IP. This could be useful to send telemetric data in realtime to the paddock ;)

I'll give the beta a try monday, since my office phone is a Nexus S :)
  • Hey AOL, Any interest in adding support for this?
    An android usb/bluetooth IOIO for cars that aren't obdII, http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748
    16 analog inputs, digital i/o, lots of really cool stuff.
    https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki
  • When in tracking/recording mode, it would be handy to have a running total of the DISTANCE covered from the start until next start reached (WRC mode?) Thanks Sidewinder.
  • aol,

Love the program more and more every time I use it.

Had a few thoughts.

One, setting splits, start, stop, etc is still somewhat of a pain while driving, better than WM, but still tough trying to push that little button. After using Dolphin browser for a while now I have come to LOVE their menu popup system where a touch input originating from off-screen and sliding to on-screen pulls open a menu, and different menues for either left side or right side. Every time I use this I just can't help but think how awesome this would be for setting points, just slide from the right and a menu with nice BIG buttons pops up with start/stop/startstop/split/etc.\

Two, Editing Splits etc is still a bit of a pain, much improved but still tedius from a user perspective. Select option, rename, select different option to move, select different option to rotate, select move option again (probably). It makes me wonder if a 3 point multitouch input while in rename "feature" could inniate and provide you the abilty to pan (slide left-right-up-down) and rotate (rotate all 3 fingers) and resize (spread fingers in/out). This would allow a single touch/instance for the main editing of splits.

Three, WIDGETS and notifications! A (resizable) widget of my lap times and splits, one of a real-time graph, any of the OBD input, etc. This would acuatlly answer one of your requests where the users could put OBD info on screen, just let them use widgets to turn a home screen into the RaceChrono UI, plus this way they can also integrate any other apps that may have useful widgets. And/or the ability of the App to show lap times as a notification.

Four, Backwards/Forwards tracks. I occasionally use RaceChrono for a local mountain bike trail (I support the ant+ idea above, +1) and right now I have to make 2 tracks for every route. The ability to run a track backwards would be sweet, just allow splits to be multi-directional and the ability to set two start-finish lines.

Five, Standing Start/Finish areas. For the same mountain biking area it would be nice to have just a general area where all lap timing starts or stops. There are only 3 different rest areas where all trails start or stop from. Some trails go to another rest stop, some return to the original start area. Right now I have to define individual start/stop points for each trail (and for each direction).

Six, setting of system variables. I use a program called "Tasker" and it can read system variables, having support for racechrono in it would be sweet. Tasker is a simple (but infinately complex) program that will execute a "task" based upon a condition, change volume at a certain locaion, ring an alarm when fully charged, etc. Having the abilty to interface would be sweet, I could, for example, change the wallpaper to a picture of a car winning if my lap time improved, and a car loosing/crashing if my laptime decreased.

Wow, lots of stuff. Did I mention I love the program just as it is? Not that you would ever tell from my post, LOL.
    BTW, I blame all my spelling mistakes on the keyboard my wife spilled a soda on!