lap and segment markers

Not sure if this is a valid question- but it kind of matches our goal of making a data logging unit that does not require a computer/pda/or phone to record the information and then using racechrono to process the data.

is there a data string we we can put into the text strings that will tell RC that there is a lap point OR if there's a segment?

(minor update- our little "system" is going to be tried out at Watkins Glen at the upcoming vintage races in a few weeks- and we don't have a spare PDA, so we are setting it up to log everything to an SD card).

I think I'll know the answer- that you need to record some laps to assemble a basic track map and then you can add the segment locations before exporting the track back to this website. Once the track is set up, the segments will always be there.

thanks.

Comments

• Eric, what's the issue with not wanting to use a PDA? I use a Dell Axim X51 (<$100 on ebay) - if it's anywhere within 20 feet of the GPS puck, bluetooth will transfer the data. The Dell weighs less than a pound, and will run on batteries for ~8 hours.
  • Well, a few things. Most of them quite minor. 1) The people I want to let borrow don't have one, so I'd rather them just be able to plug and play. 2) having a PDA in my vintage race car, well- just looks out of place. An aluminum box I can hide better 3) just not all that comfortable with it being able to fly around. I also have an X51V- which is awesome. But it also doesn't exactly last long while recording bluetooth- I get about an hour out of it when doing that. I know that they are fairly trivial, but being able to log to an SD card for post processing is pretty cool. One less thing in the car. Eric
  • I keep my phone in the rouser pocket of my race suit when recording. No problems with that, as long as the keypad is locked. I would assume the same is possible with a PDA and everyone you lend it to will have a pocket! It won't look out of place in your pocket and I doubt you'll be driving more than an hour in the car, so does battery life matter? Just charge it up later. Admittedly, it's not a perfect solution, but it's very usable.
  • I certainly have over 1 hour of track time on any given track day, and recharging on the spot isn't always possible. A 12V adapter for recharging in the car is an option of course.
  • With what we are building, it will write directly to an SD card, and since Antti allows for importing of data- it works fine. I think once you set up a track, and then put the segments in yourself, it will work together ok- I'll check, but I bet that will be what happens.

The set up we are working on will be very much like the RaceTechnology in concept- a box with and SD card reader, inputs, GPS, accelerometers and gyros. If you are comfortable with soldering, the goal is to make it a project that you can assemble, and work with this great software.

Eric
  • It must be just me then - I find I do stints of 10-15 minutes on a track day or about 5 minutes at most on a race day and given that every car I've ever seen has a 12v supply, charging isn't an issue. My race car has a cigarette lighter socket next to the battery cut-off on the outside of the car, which is handy for charging things - my HD camera and GPS both charge from a standard mini-USB socket, so a single adapter caters for both. Whilst my phone has a mini-USB socket, it only takes charge from the separate power socket!

@alfadriver - I very much look forward to seeing your project.
  • So am I. :)

One thing to keep in mind- my car does not have power points, yet. I'll probably install a small power distribution box, so that I can use the PDA. But the idea is to be able to run it, and take the data without it. A little easier for my friends who don't want to deal with a PDA, but flexible enough for me who does have one.