Help With Transferring Data To PC

edited June 2013 in RaceChrono for Android
I've started using RaceChrono on trackdays using an external GPS receiver paired to my Galaxy S3 and I'm very pleased with the results.

I would like to transfer all the data on to my PC but really don't know what I'm doing. I've read the manual but that doesn't really help as I'm old and not greatly proficient with all the terminology.

I've exported the session info into my phone's storage and can see the files when I connect it to the PC but don't know how to extract them and view on the PC.

Could anyone help me using simple English and without taking the p*ss.

Comments

• I've been trying to do the same. According to the racechrono manual you can view them by copying the "session" folder contents on the phone and transferring it to the 'My Documents/racechrono/sessions' folder on your PC.

This method might have worked for symbian phones but the file types seem to be incompatible between the Android and the PC versions.

Any suggestions Aol?
  • edited June 2013
    Sorry, the manual is for v1.45 (basically for old Windows and Symbian version). To be able to view RaceChrono for Android (v2.x) session files in v1.45, you need to export NMEA first in Android version, and then import the NMEA files back to the Windows/Symbian version.

It's a bit cumbersome, but the format change was necessary to be able to make the Android version better. Also unfortunately I've got no resources to update the v1.45 versions anymore, so only Android version is getting updates.
  • Thanks for the quick response. Works great.

Cheers
  • I'm sorry, I must sound like an idiot but I still don't understand what you're asking me to do. I need step by step instructions.

I really like the app but if I can't get this to work I may have to look at another laptimer.

Please, someone help.
  • edited June 2013
    I must only apologize the lack of documentation for the Android app. I will write it at some point, but as of now my time is fully consumed completing the feature set of the app.

Still, I must note (again) that the use case of transferring sessions from the Android version (v2) to the Windows PC version (v1.45), is not something I ever intended to be done by the users. The PC version is old and crappy - a first generation app, and the second generation Android app is supposed to make everything old obsolete. There will be ways (later) to transfer and synchronise sessions between Android devices, so tablets could be used for larger screens, and there might even be some web tools. But the Windows version is discontinued forever!
  • edited June 2013
    KD88,

Well, I could try to help...

First download and run the Windows RaceChrono on your PC, and download trackprofiles.

Then on your phone; export the session in NMEA format.

Copy the NMEA file from phone to your PCs My Documents folder (normal copy - paste).

Open Windows RaceChrono and select Sessions, and click Import new on the bottom of the screen.
    Click Import file
    Use arrow down on your keyboard to scroll down to find the NMEA file, click ok.
    Click Track, select, Ok
    Click Start on the bottom of the screen.

Now you should have the session also in your PCs RaceChrono sessions.
  • Hi everybody,
    Just starting with RaceChrono and not yet sure of what I really know.
    I've already imported my files on the PC within RaceChrono (RaceDAC process) and I'm stuck at this point.

I don't find the way to use this data in RaceChrono ; I understood that it is necessary to create a start but my data concerns a track already recorded.

So, please, what do I have to do once the data is loaded in Racechrono ?

Take care

Eric
  • edited June 2013
    so you have exported nmea from android add
    and copied to PC ?

when you import nmea ( on PC )
    also select track and session title
  • Hi Norman,
    Thanks for answering
    In fact I get the nmea data from a gps datalogger (triprecorder 747pro S).

I had some sessions and seemed to have registered some data. I exported it on my PC but after the "import new"... Well, the "Traveled route" is still to zero.

Maybe the set up of the data logger is wrong but I don't know any way to validate it :-(

Take care

Eric
  • did you fill in select track and session title ?
  • Hi Norman.
    Thanks for your time.
    I did again and fill in track (Carole in France) and session title. After keying "start" it answers me "information import successful" then goes back to the list of registered sessions.
    Then, I selected this last one and the traveled route is "0".

I'm sure I did something wrong but don't know what. (maybe my performances are not good enough ;-) )

Take care

Eric
  • @Eric,

I tried to configure this recorder few years ago for a friend of mine. The issue was by default it didn't record the correct information that RaceChrono needs to.
    I'm sorry I forgot a bit which ones... I will check in my old emails and get back to you.
    If someone else could help, feel free to do it...

PS : I'm sorry but for those previous data, it's too late... but at least, you will be set up for the next session.
    PS2 : always try some tests before going on track ;)
  • edited July 2014
    You're lucky...
    Ok first of all, you need to use (and obviously installing before) the soft BT747, go there http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747/files/
    Then you need to configure the log mode like below :
    Phrases NMEA : RMC and GGA
    Fields : UTC,VALID,LATITUDE,LONGITUDE,HEIGHT,SPEED,HEADING,NSAT,MILLISECOND

Bip me if you have any sushi ;)

Thank you triple_buse who helped me on that in 2010

PS : Maybe I'm wrong and you can retry to export your NMEA data if you haven't swiped them yet.