OBD-II: Tested cars and readers!

Comments

• Yeah looks good!
  • Works great on Opel GT 2008 2.0 265cv( Saturn Sky) and Alfa Romeo 147 Jtd 120cv
  • I've installed RaceChrono today on Nokia E71, and configured it with generic ELM327 Bluetooth interface, that you can get easily from eBay.co.uk. I am pleased to report that configuration works great! My car is Volvo S40 2001 2.0 petrol, so compatibility list on top of this thread could be now updated.
  • Seems to work well on a Nokia N95 8GB, using the internal GPS receiver, connecting to a OBDKEY on an RS Focus. Great product guys !

Mike
  • edited May 2009
    I've just tried OBDKEY my N958GB with Triumph Daytona 675 on my commute to work. So far it works great, pity it doesn't log gear position and clutch engage/disengage switch. Most modern motorbikes have that functionality, I know Tuneboy for my bike can read that information.

All I've to do is try it out on track.
  • edited May 2009
    I can check which channels are available on the triumph, if there would be a gear/clutch. Did not see them in the channel list I have, but it might be missing some items. Also remember to buy 5 Hz Bluetooth GPS before going to track, the internal GPS of N95 is not really suited for race tracks :)

edited: Just realized I have already a OBD-II log from similar bike :)
  • Nuff you in cali by chance?
  • edited May 2009
    Dmitriy, I'm in Sydney Australia. I already had a 5Hz BT receiver with RC for a year, I just wasn't sure if OBDKEY will work or not. I'm happy that it does.

AOL, if you need to get an OBDII log from my bike let me know, I will just need instructions how to do it, I can also play around with clutch and gears to get that data you need.
  • edited May 2009
    Nuff, I see you are beta group member already! Please send me new IMEI if your phone has changed since joining. I'll send you new test version of the software, if I find there's some channels in the Triumph that are not supported yet by RaceChrono. Having clutch/gear would be great if it's possible through OBD-II. Not sure if it is, because these other products might not be using the OBD-II but some other method. Do you know any details?
  • edited May 2009
    ... just checked it, and seems Triumph 675 does not have any additional channels available. So this clutch/gear info would need to be read with some other interface than OBD-II.
  • You could be right and I was so close to perfect solution :)
  • Aol, how often does it update the throttle position? from the graphs it looks like once every second, is it engine/ECU dependent or a software thing, it seems to update the rpm more frequently.
  • Can you send me the NMEA log so I can take a look? \RaceChrono\Sessions\*-nmea.txt on your memory card.
  • I've emailed you the logs the other day, I've played around with the obdkey software today on my 675 and it seems to update the throttle at least 3 times per second. The more frequent the updates the better since throttle control is very important on bikes. Cheers!
  • Sorry, from NMEA file it looks like you're logging total 3 channels, with total bandwidth of 3 hz. So every channel is logged once per second only.
  • Is there any way to increase the bandwidth to more than 3Hz? Or is that the limit? So if I want more frequent updates I've to decrease the amount of channels?
  • edited May 2009
    The bandwidth is dependent on the ECU, and 3-4 Hz is quite typical. Some Japanese cars support 10 Hz which is quite good already. Unfortunately decreasing the amount of channels is the only way to increase it. I log Throttle position and RPM only my self. For bike use maybe throttle position only would make sense. After all the RPM is not really important unless you're making videos.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks for the info. rpm is only useful for choosing the right sprockets for tracks and that only needs to be logged in the first few sessions. After that, throttle is a lot more important.

Cheers,
    J
  • edited June 2009
    2000 Lexus IS200 tested and working with v1.10 & OBDKey

Used phone Nokia E50 and gps Qstarz BT-Q1000X
  • edited June 2009
    Tested:
    - Dynamic charged Chevrolet Matiz 0,8 2007 (and all other cars where tested)
    - DealExtreme ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle Item# 16921 $54.67USD.
    - Phone Nokia N93 and RaceChrono 1.10
    - Gps Holux GPSlim236.

Works.. and waiting more OBD things and log in this software.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi guys.. I'm running into a problem with my el-cheapo BT ELM327 from HK and my Windows Mobile phone (HTC Wizard) - with the PC everything works fine, but I can't get a reliable connection on the PDA. Anyone run into this? I can connect and everything, Racechrono sees it fine and looks like it's connected, but the logged data is very sporadic (updates once every 10 seconds) .. it's the same situation with chronogps, obdgauge crashes etc..

(Since this is my first post here, let me say Racechrono rules..fantastic program..kudos)
  • Resolved - tried a Treo 700w and it worked flawlessly, so the issue was a Bluetooth or BT stack problem.
  • Hudson, thanks for reporting!
  • Daft question time but i have a N93 which comes with built in WLAN,would a wifi OBD reader work so i can also use it on my iphone or would i have to get a bluetooth one?
  • Doesn't work with RaceChrono. Technically possible though.
  • Works right out of the box in Nokia E71 with smart Roadster 2004 and Elmscan 5 Bluetooth dongle. Great piece of software!
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for report Pimust! To make accurate book keeping, did you test the latest v1.30?
  • Yes, I used the lates 1.3 version.
  • Hi, i tested RaceChrono with ELM327 serial interface+serial to bluetooth converter and it works great on my 2006 Honda S2000! Version used: RaceChrono 1.30 on Nokia N82