RaceChrono v2.90 thread: free discussion

I've just released RaceChrono v2.90 to Play Store. Go and get it. I hope you like it. Post your feedback, questions and bug reports about the v2.90 here. Discussion is free so go for it!

Here's the full change log: http://www.racechrono.com/news/?p=352

Finally go RaceChrono's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RaceChrono/104706009568917

Comments

• An idea to improve racedac, when rpm are recorded with racedac or odb, you can add in the top of the chrono a configurable shift light green/orange/red
  • Could you explain the removal of the MTK modification feature. Did you remove the ability to disable modification of the settings? Or did you change the program so that it does not change the settings? I had issue using the Qstarz 818XT until I told racechrono NOT to modify settings beyond Qstarz default.

Also, here is a screenshot of a plugin I have used with Torque Pro called RacingMeter. It has a very nice Shift light setup that I have used to great effect. It would be nice to have a similar looking function in Racechrono so that I can use one device for GPS AND BT.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zeh5NGawgwU/Uz33azvQzyI/AAAAAAAAFAY/0GcuoNw09oI/w1358-h764-no/2014-04-03
  • Hi FerociousP, RaceChrono does not modify the settings anymore, and this is the reason there is no need for the setting to disable it. You probably suffered from same problem that led me to make this change. That change light plugin looks nice, I will add to TO-DO.
  • edited April 2014
    Great thanks! Will be going to TGPR on May 12th, and will be testing both RaceChrono and HLT for ease of use and accuracy.

Great for the shift light, just a few quick details on it. On my rx8 I set it to start the "LEDs" at 6000 and max at 8500, and it flashes all of the "LEDs" above that. This one is very aesthetically pleasing and realistic looking, but as long as its easily viewable in on the dash it doesn't have to look too fancy. vid of operation
  • Antti,

I have to suggest a relatively crazy idea regarding new features. Android Wear is coming this summer. I don't think it is worth implementing any interaction there. However, a setting that would allow posting notifications to notification bar(and thus to the wearable) on each lap/sector probably would make sense. I've never tried to look at the watch on my wrist while on track, so I don't know if it is possible/safe, but if it is - I think it is good to have such an option.
  • Rocas, I will take a look at the wearables market once I get to actually buy some devices. I have high hopes for some of the devices I've seen so far :)
  • One issue I've just noticed. When you export a session, if you click somewhere out of progress dialog, dialog is being dismissed. And you won't be prompted with a share dialog after the process is complete.
  • Hi Rocas, thanks for reporting! This will be fixed on next release.
  • I came from RaceChrono on the Windows Mobile 6.1 and could use the exported data streams without issue to produce video inserts in RaceRender 2, but now on the Android version (I have a new new phone, HTC One M7), the exports, no matter which one I choose, are either not accepted in RaceRender 2(.09) (they are in RR V3, but also produce no correct data track and all dials remain static) and they lead to a messed up track map (a diagional line), static data for all dials.
    So this seems related to the export that the RaceChrono Android version makes, or RR requires an update maybe?
    I exported the whole session, as I had prepared the sessions the day before the race, so I only had to resume them when racing. Is this a cause for this behavior?
    My OBD II connector is the OBDKey Bleutooth and I can see all recorded data in the graph when I select them, throttle, rpm, speed.
    Regards
    Amnon
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Amnon, I have tested the latest version of RaceChrono with RaceRender 3 only. If you're using older version of RaceRender, then you should probably select "RaceChrono2AVI" format when exporting, as the support for new .CSV format was added only recently.
  • I will try that with my version 2. But like mentioned, the RaceRender2/Dashware (.csv) option did not give an error when imported in RR 3 (it did in RR2), but it had the same poor result, no usable data apparently to RR 3, as the GPS map was a static line and all dials remained static on zero as well.
    Imported in Excel, it looks OK, at least the bits with a lap number in front of them.
    Since I prepared my sessions, I had several resumes and assumed the last one is the actual track time I need to export.
    It would be nice if the scope also mentioned the duration here, so you know what to export :-)
    Thanks for your support.
    Also, how do I make the in app purchase, as I do not want to wait for it to expire...
  • edited May 2014
    Ok, maybe that session has some invalid data. Can you email me the session? Press 'Share' and email the .rcz file to tracks(at)racechrono.com . I will take a look if there's something I need to do.

Unfortunately there is no way to buy right now, but I'm currently working on RaceChrono Pro, which I will release shortly. Also the OBD-II support can later be bought separately via in-app purchases, if you don't need all of the features the Pro version offers.
  • aol, could you please consider adding reverse landscape orientation? I know it does not work on API levels below 9, but as I remember, these levels are not supported in Racechrono as well.
    My personal issue with this is that in normal landscape my phone holder pushes side buttons on the device, so I usually use reverse position.
  • Rocas, I'll consider that. I almost did that already for v2.90, but could not figure out the whole user experience part of it...
  • It is possible to have the syntax of the rcz files ?
  • Hi! Many thanks for great app! Some time ago I wrote to you about problems with RaceDAC g-sensor output values. I used to send you data examples with these..
    Just installed new version and was very excited to see it working, but unfortunatelly, it's the same :( Still keep seeing readings like 65000 instead of G values.
    I can send you test data again as well as translation formula for raw values.
    Also, possibility to add custom names to RaceDAC channels would also be a great feature to have!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi MAV, please contact RaceDAC support, they should have firmware update available that outputs signed decimal G-values. So the raw accelerometer output is no longer used, but instead, translated values. I hear you on the custom names. I will have to combine with some other feature to make it worth doing, as not so many RaceDAC users unfortunately.
  • Thank you! Yes, unfortunately RaceDAC is not so popular... I really like functions and hardware. For me it's the only way to get sensors data - my car doesn't support OBDII...
    In my opinion, what it lacks is software... Nice user friendly app to set up the device can really make it shine.
  • Hexen, if you have some cool project, then yes. The syntax is not secret, but will take some support time from me to get it right. I've already given it for two projects.
  • It's for my personnal program, that I use to print the lap timing http://hexenberg.free.fr/chrono/modeemploiv2.htm
  • If you want see it : http://hexenberg.free.fr/chrono/v2.7.rar
    I add an option to have the menu in english
  • hexen, looks good, check your email :)
  • Any chance of adding a delta t graph option to the analysis function when comparing two laps/runs.

Also a simple suggestion might be to color code the run/lap number to the graph trace for easy identification. Imo it's easy to lose track of which lap applies to which trace.

Keep up the great work!

Can't wait to see the predictive lap timing too.
  • edited June 2014
    mnracer: We have predictive lap timing, time difference and time gain (seconds per km) features right now in alpha testing. It also has comparison scaled by position (rather than just linear x-axis scaling). These will come to Pro version build-in and to the Free version they will become as in-app-purchase.
  • Awesome news. I bought the pro version for if nothing else to support your work. Thanks.
  • I cant seem to find the performance testing mode in racechrono pro 3.03. Could anybody give me any pointers?
  • edited June 2014
    darkiedm4: Unfortunately the performance testing never was part of the Android app. This was only in Symbian and WM. Although I have plans to create this for Android too, but I have quite a few video and lap timing features that I need to work on first.
  • edited June 2014
    doh I hope you can put that in somewhere in the near future. I have iphone as main phone and bought android phone especially for this app. Bought pro version as well. So you say it still exists in windows mobile phone version? Do I need to buy pro app on windows mobile as well so it works with external gps receiver?
  • edited June 2014
    darkiedm4, yep the free WM has performance testing, but otherwise the app is very limited compared to the Android app. I really hope too that I can work on the Android version of the feature soon.