CanBus Yamaha

Hi everybody,

Thank you aol for your app. She is amazing !!!

I want collect data sensor of my R1 2017.
I have PID for RPM, TPS, ECU Voltage, air and oil temperature and more. it's OBD standard.
But I need PID for front and rear brake or lean angle.

I don't understand how collect this :

https://ibb.co/xC7BS7q

For exemple : I have RPM on 0x 01 0C but in picture is 0x209
I don't understand the logic and i'm going crazy lol

Someone to help me? please

Comments

• edited May 2020
    On vehicles with OBD-II and CAN-Bus, the OBD-II protocol layer is built on top of the CAN-Bus. You're looking at raw CAN-Bus messages, not OBD-II messages. The OBD-II messages need to be polled (by sending a message first), in order for them to show up on apps like that.

I'm not sure if your bike has OBD-II. But at least all Euro 5 bikes do have it. The 010C hexadecimal PID is standard OBD-II and is supported by default, so you do not need to use CAN-Bus scanner apps like that for OBD-II.

The app you're using is for reverse engineering the raw CAN-Bus messages. This is especially useful when your vehicle does not support OBD-II or if you've reverse engineered CAN-Bus data channels that are not available through OBD-II. Basically you manipulate your controls (or sensor values), and see which value changes in the scanner app. When you have found out the location (and translation) for certain value, you add it to RaceChrono: https://racechrono.com/article/faq/how-do-i-log-can-bus-messages

• edited May 2020
    Thank you. I uderstand now.

I think my bike has OBD-II because i have many messages on standard PID.

I try with "RaceChrono > Settings > Add other device > OBDLink LX/MX/MX+ Bluetooth (CAN-Bus)” but it doesn't work because I have only a cheap blue ELM327.

I will see for building a DIY device or buy a OBDLink MX.

I have 2 more question :
    1- is it dangerous to scan canbus ? (I want just read)
    I think lot of data what I need are in video and picture, so not very dangerous.
    2- does it slow down Canbus if I read too much data ? For exemple, maybe traction control or other function will work not very well ?

Sory for my bad english.
  • edited May 2020
    If you bike has OBD-II then just configure your OBD-II adapter with "+ Add OBD-II reader" in settings... Much easier than trying to reverse engineering CAN-Bus.

1 and 2: No, as long as you do not write anything to the bus.
  • edited May 2020
    Thank you. It works fine with OBDLink MX. :smiley:
  • @Mcly I'm curious, did you use OBD-II or did you get the CAN-Bus messages reverse engineered?
  • I get the CAN-Bus messages reverse engineered.
    I thought I could record OBD-II and CAN-Bus messages reverse engineered in same time but racechrono don't connect at two device (reading OBD-II and OBDlink Mx Canbus).
    I think it's normal.
  • Hello all,

Mcly can you provide me the list of all Pids you have found out?

• Hello guys, I'm a sound engineer and have an interesting project with my Yamaha MT-25(2019).

I did some research and got Arduino Uno and CAN-Bus shield. I only need to get the rpm information but can't communicate with my bike which has a 4 pin socket by the way. I used can-h and can-l pins on the bike and shield. I tried SparkFun CAN read demo code on Arduino but had no answers other than some strange symbols. Can you help me? I really don't know how to read it.

Thank you so much!
    Kind Regards
    Onur
  • Hi Onur,

please dont use the DB9 Connector on the board. Please use the Can-h and Can-l connectors on the board.

In your program please check the baudrate of the can. It should be 500.000.

Is the CS Pin setted up correctly? It should be 9 or 10. Please try
  • edited October 2021
    @R1Snake What's the reason for not using the DB9 connector? It doesn't have CAN-Bus at all? I purchased a Yamaha T7 for my offroad adventures, and I guess I will need to start decoding the CAN-Bus on it :)
  • The reason is, that the Board has another pin setting than a usual can cable.they want you to purchase there cable.

The easiest Was is to put two loose wires in the can Port and on the Board are a can h and can l Port.

If you need some Formulars I can send you the Formulars. I think on yamaha the Formulars are identical

• edited October 2021
    @R1Snake sure, please share the equations :)
  • I wrote you an mail