DIY: Send events to the DIY device

i have a big project where i work with GPS and CAN Data.

It would be great if Racechrono sends a message event to the DIY device if some of the events are triggered:
- New Lap
- Section is crossed
- Lapend (For Sprints)

Optional you could send the time too?

Is this possible?

Comments

• edited June 2021
    I'm actually working on *sending anything* to the DIY device. Speed, lap number, lap time, you name it. Unfortunately pushing data to this direction is much harder on Android and iOS BLE APIs, so the progress has been slow.
  • Why is this way much harder?

If i download the App "nRF Connect" i can connect to my DIY Device. In this app i can set a value to a Channel and on my DIY device i can setup a event which shows me the Data.

• Need to act as BLE server while still being BLE master, to be able to notify the data changes.
  • Are there some news?

I need this Feature realy Bad 🙈

• Slow progress, sorry. The heat wave has distracted me a bit.
  • edited July 2021
    @R1Snake It's finally done, example device and all. Will add the project to GitHub early next week. The API will be included in the next beta.

Found out the client/server thing was just too painful and over-engineered... Now the DIY device acts only as a BLE server as usual, and the phone is the BLE client. I wrote the example code for Adafruit CLUE.
  • Hi,

these are greate and awesome news.

Is the next beta already released?
  • @R1Snake no not yet, but you can find the project here: https://github.com/aollin/racechrono-ble-diy-device

There is the protocol specification and an example implementation. The spec still have TO-DO for the equations, but you can find example equations from the example device implementation.
  • Interesting to follow this! Curious if something like that can also be provided via an API on-device. I can imagine sending live lap times over mobile data to some server, sending a "yo" or IFTTT, or something like that.
  • If you have an DIY device with a internet connection than you could do something like that.

@aol : My device is ready for the next version :smiley:
  • @aol : Do you knwo when you will release the next version?
  • edited September 2021
    @R1Snake If you're on Android, I can create an alpha version when my current development branch is no longer broken, if that's ok for you. It will have some bugs as pre-release versions always do.
  • Hi AOL,

This would be awesome.

I am looking forward for your alpha Version

• edited September 2021
    I rewrote the Arcada display example https://github.com/aollin/racechrono-ble-diy-device/tree/master/examples/remote-display-device/main to print over serial instead of a local display and was looking to try it out but noticed 7.3 supports input of CAN/GPS, no output. Compiled, uploaded and connected fine though :smiley: ) Will be interested in checking out alpha/beta eventually when you get there!
  • I have installed the alpha version on my phone and I can tell you that everything works well. If you want to add a new DIY device there is a new checkbox "monitor".

• @MagnusThome I've added you to the alpha group, welcome! I'm not quite ready yet to bring it to beta, but I think it works pretty well. Let me know if there's anything weird.
  • Cool! Will have a go!

• @R1 snake

I'm looking to port the monitor code from the nRf BLE library to an esp32 BLE library that I've been using. But I heard a rumour you might have been looking at that already?

• Hi,

sorry for the delay.

Thats correct, i already get the monitor API running on my ESP.

• Willing to share the code?

• Spent some time trying to port the nRF way of doing things to the ESP32 BLE library's way of doing things, arrghhhh. When just notifying as in the RejsaRubberTrac code I have a handle on the differences between the two libraries since I've written for both. But I'm a bit lost with the callbacks in this code so not there yet. R1Snake, if you see this, any help would be immensely appreciated :smile: :+1: