RaceBox MINI

Hi all,
i'm Alessio from Italy and i'm a fairly new user of RaceChrono.

As the title suggests, i would like to ask if the complete device support to the app is confirmed and if anyone had already the opportunity to test that.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• edited March 2022
    It's official. Current versions of RaceChrono do support RaceBox Mini. See the announcement here: https://racechrono.com/article/3004
  • I will retrive data via bluetooth from both an ELM327 (rpm, speed, throttle position) and the racebox mini (gps, gyro, accelerometer), is it possible or the app can only have one BT communication at a time?
  • I've been using OBDLink MX+ over Bluetooth (I believe?) and XGPS160 at the same time, no problem.
  • edited March 2022
    @MadeinAlesio It works great with other Bluetooth devices. Just like any other Bluetooth device :)
  • Thank you very much for the information, now we just have to wait for it to be delivered! :smiley:
  • I just used Racechrono v7.5.2 and racebox mini. they paired nicely and logged data on demand. however, i am seeing a lot of "noise" in the lateral g data. any thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GBfsk1Epbg15OhM3E4KFSoCkRdGApxaP?usp=sharing
  • edited June 2022
    It's normal to see noise in there. RaceChrono will have better IMU functionality soon, and will smooth out these values.

That said, I'm haven't yet been able to confirm if the IMU data from the RaceBox Mini is any good for further processing, but we'll see that soon.
  • I've just got my mini. Does RaceChrono use the mini's g sensor? or only the 25Hz GPS. Thanks
  • edited May 2022
    @hasole RaceChrono uses the GPS only at the moment. Future versions of RC will have functionality that uses the IMU, at least on the phone, maybe also the RaceBox's.
  • Just got my mini too. Works well with RC at 25Hz. Thanks for the rapid support!

• @aol Thank you for confirming that. I noticed that the Mini shows the accel and gyro at 25hz but my phone data rate is 50hz.
  • Here's my review of RaceBox Mini after trying it for 1 track day and 1 autox:
  • @hasole I'm in a similar situation at the moment. It seems just using your phone and RaceChrono Pro is better than buying the RaceBox Mini and linking it.

I bought the RaceBox Mini for the additional data from the IMU, but their own app doesn't work and RaceChrono Pro doesn't currently pull that data as @aol_of_RaceChrono has mentioned.
  • edited August 2022
    @Username1 Just to clarify things, RaceChrono does pull and save the IMU data currently, but it just doesn't process it. The IMU data comes from the RaceBox Mini unprocessed and the apps should do that. That's what we are working on now.

For me the RaceBox Mini is easily worth the money just for much better GPS than on any phone, but I can understand your disappointment as they might have overpromised on the IMU stuff.
  • @aol_of_RaceChrono Since I'm using the racebox mini, do I turn off internal sensors, or will the racebox mini only give GPS data?
  • edited December 2022
    Both can be recorded, but in v8.0 only one set of IMU data will be processed. On my development version the internal IMU data is used, if both IMU data exists.
  • Would it be possible to just select Racebox mini? @aol_of_RaceChrono
  • some issues to connect the racebox mini... on iphone 8 last update...
    it connect/disconnect itself continuosly...

another racebox mini, on iphone 6 last update, works well