Data reading from Gen90 ECU

Hello all.

I am a bit of a newbie in this datalogging world so please be patient with me.

I built a track racing Renault Clio 2, on this car I have a KTEC gen90 racing ecu.

Unfortunately KTEC does not give any kind of documentation about it, and even asking is not worth. I know this ecu is based on a GEMS unit.. the EM36.

Using this ecu the OBD2 port simply does not work anymore (used to read data from there when I had oem ecu).. or at least it does not connect out of the box as it used to do.

Ecu also has a round 4pin can port to connect external unknown datalogger or display.

I'd love to be able to connect my phone with RaceChrono Pro with my ecu to have some data to overlay on the gopro recorded videos . But honestly I really have no clue. Searched on the internet but found nothing.. only people doing custom connections but on very advanced level . Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• If your ECU has CAN-Bus, you can connect an OBDLink adapter to it, and use it in CAN-Bus mode with RaceChrono, to monitor the raw CAN packets in the bus.
  • I'm in the same boat. Have just got a Gen90 and looking into what I have to do to get the data from it into RaceChrono for the overlays. It does support CAN-Bus streaming, and has a few channels pre-configured, as that's (allegedly) how the standard dash works with it. I'm still in the research stage, but as far as I can tell, what's required is an OBDII Bluetooth adapter (NOT an ebay/amazon cheapie) that can be put into CAN-Bus streaming mode, like the OBDLink MX+ or LX. Then we should be able to decipher what channels the ECU is streaming on the CAN-Bus (And add extra, like throttle position through either Gen-Tuner Pro or GWv4 if required), and then configure RaceChrono to pick up these streams. For me, this is going to be a lower priority than getting the ECU mapping done, but give me a couple of months to get that sorted, but the expensive OBDLink adapter and hopefully I can make it work.
    The four pin connector on the ECU is apparently CAN-Bus 2 output, and is able to be connected to some of the fancy race dashes and gauges that the folks with enough money to buy these items use ;-)
    If I manage to make it work I'll reply here, if you could do they same, that'd be great. Hopefully we can help each other out and not have to work it out independently.

Cheers, and good luck.