Samsung note / GSP receiver advice please

Hi all

Am new to all this track day malarky and know absolutely nothing so some advice would be gratefully received. I'm off on a couple of euro (motorbike) track days later on this year and want to take some video and overlay the footage.

Ideally i'd get myself a smartycam but it's a tad extravagant so am looking for a cheaper option, hense the racechrono question!

I have a samsung galaxy note 4 running 5.0.1 and wondered what the best way of getting the gsp update rate up to a speed where the data collected by racechrono will be pretty accurate. I assume i'll need some sort of receiver that plugs into the phone to help? If so what would you recommend?

I appreciate the answer will probably be on this site somewhere already but as i said i know diddley squat so some specific advice you be much appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Internal GPSes generally run at 1 Hz and don't have sufficient accuracy at racing speeds. So you'll almost certainly need an external GPS. On the RaceChrono app's main page there is a link to "recommended products," currently the Dual XGPS 160 and the Garmin GLO. I have the latter and have been rather happy with it so far.

You can also check this other forum thread on the topic. http://racechrono.com/forum/#/discussion/654/which-phone-gps-receiver-should-i-buy-report-your-experiences-here
  • Thanks for the info.

So do these receivers just plug directly into the phone or use Bluetooth?
  • They each connect via Bluetooth. You pair it to your Android device similar to a headset or speaker, and then make a one-time setting in RaceChrono to read GPS data from there instead of the internal GPS. At track time, turn on the external GPS unit a few minutes ahead so it can stabilize its satellites and you're good to go.
  • I'm also using the Garmin GLO. It's massively better than the internal 1hz phone GPS. Like Karter said, pair it with the phone, set up RaceChrono once. From there all you have to do is make sure it's turned on and RaceChrono handles the rest.
  • Thanks for the advice chaps much appreciated.