iPhone 3G Port ?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Yep, the TomTom car kit probably helps a lot, but still not nearly as good as the 5 Hz MTK-chipset Bluetooth receivers that RaceChrono users love so much ...
  • What's the difference between the car kit's external GPS and a generic Bluetooth external GPS? I mean, what allows the car kit to pair with the iPhone while not allowing all the generic ones?
  • edited December 2009
    The iPhone has physical connection to the car kit via Apple connector (which is patented...).
  • I was under the impression that the physical connection was for the use of the car kit's external speaker and microphone for hands-free calling and navigation instructions, while the external GPS module paired via Bluetooth

Have a look at this video review: (around the 2:00 minute mark)
  • edited December 2009
    Ok, that was news to me.

It's not like iPhone would not support external Bluetooth devices, it's so that iPhone does not support devices that do not pay royalties to Apple. So there's something different in this device.

I've seen some other devices that do this, for example the iPhone Blood Pressure device.
  • Do these news change anything about your plans to not develop the software for the iPhone?

:)
  • edited December 2009
    Unfortunately only thing that would make me start programming immediately, would be unrestricted access to the generic Bluetooth receivers. But I will revisit the issue next winter to see if I should do it anyways.

Before that, I feel that I have more important projects going on :)
  • Fair enough, I completely understand your reasoning.

Hopefully, Apple will wake up and come down of that high horse soon so iPhone users can enjoy your brilliant software.
  • i hope you start the project as soon aol :)

happy new year
  • Yeah, it does pretty much same as Dynolicious does. Power measurement with accelerometers. I don't know if it's licensed from them, or completely new app.
  • Deja vu! I went through this mindset too back in july. I must get all this working on the iphone. Got my mac...got my iphone...I must.

Well after a long stretch of digging, posting & testing, I returned to RC because it just works FAR BETTER than anything on any other mobile device or anything else under the $600 price point.

Sure you can run blackrain and probably get some wanker setup working but why?

Now lay down and pray to "The Steve" that he bringeth what we want on the 27th.
  • Hate to beat a dead horse, I got this http://www.magellangps.com/iphone/iphoneapp_car_kit.aspin the mail today and this quote stuck out: "Works with any GPS navigation or location based app. The cradle is compatible with most GPS navigation apps."
  • That Magellan system may work with the iPhone but I'd put money on it being a 1Hz system. For navigation, that's fine but for accurate logging with RaceChrono, it's not too good. You'd be better off with an old Nokia and a cheap 5Hz Bluetooth dongle - I bet it'd be cheaper too!
  • I'm with Andy - RaceChrono on iPhone would be great on theory, but with current hardware there would be quite few disappointed people. A bad internal GPS and couple of expensive 1 Hz receivers available. Jailbroken iPhone would allow Bluetooth but what's the point when only few % of iPhone users are willing to jailbreak.
  • has anyone seen this? it may just be the ticket!!
    http://www.roqy-bluetooth.net/wp/

Ive got racechrono on my N97 love the app! shame its not avalible on my new iphone, guess i'll keep the n97 for race days!
  • Scroll up jr - it was posted last September. It requires the phone is jailbroken. I don't see why there's such a desire to use an iPhone as the hardware is so expensive and old phones/PDAs are available for peanuts. Do you need to carry around your RaceChrono logs all day every day? I only ever show people my logs at the track or at a motor club meet, which is predictable enough for me to take the right device with me.
  • Digging up an old thread, it occurs to me that the iPad is a superb solution for viewing data trackside. It's easy to use and has very long battery life - you could use it continuously all day. There must be a market for an iPad app that will import data from RC and display it like RC does. The only issue I can see is how to get the data. As a workaround, Joikuspot and a web server on the phone might provide the solution to transferring data from car to iPad. It's a shame Apple hardware lives in a dictatorship where you can't bind to other devices!
  • hi AOL, i'm another iphone user... your program is fantastic!
    but to use i can take the N95 of my brother...
    do you think to distribute your program from cydia store?
    in this case any user have the JB can use your program and roqyBT to use external gps
    sorry for my bad english
  • Just to recap.
    After you Jailbreak the Iphone in Cydia there is two Bluetooth stack programs. I've tried both and they connect just fine to my Qstarz GPS 818X.
    Im using IOS 4.01.