OBD Related Requests

edited August 2013 in RaceChrono for Android
First off just used RaceChrono for the first time since it offers OBD now. Very cool app! I had a few features I'd like to request, and with these features would have no problem paying for OBD.

1. While on the track is there a way you could allow at least one OBD value to be displayed in real-time? For me I'd like to see my exact coolant temp as I drive.

2. A follow on to number 1. If you can display one OBD value could you make it that you can set a threshold value that will cause the display of that number to say go from green to red? That way I can choose a coolant value that if I hit I have a quick way to see I may want to head in.

3. If displaying a value would be too tight instead even being able to say if coolant reaches a certain value display a popup warning or something (not ideal)

5. This one is more than just OBD. Under the analysis views could you create a min/max view? I would choose all values I care about (both GPS and OBD), and just show for each value what the min and max values were for that session. This would be very helpful to get a quick view of the session.

6. This one is minor and not completely necessary. In the analysis graph view when I view coolant it would be great to show Fahrenheit.

Sorry for all the requests, but love the app. If a donation at all would help to give the priorities let me know ;)

Comments

• Hi Felix, thanks for the suggestions! Here's few comments:

1) Did you try the "gauges" page on Live recording view? Or do you mean you'd like this information to be displayed together with the lap timing?

2-6) Good ideas

The OBD-II features will become in-app purchases at some point, so I'd think it's enough support to purchase that if you like what I'm doing with the app :) I'll put these on my list of feature ideas, and will implement at least some of them.
  • Yes for number 1 would really like the option to show at least one obd value on the lap timing view. This way in real time I can see my laps and my exact coolant temp at the same time without pressing anything. I know screen real estate is valuable but hoping a value like coolant could be fit (optionally) . This combined with number 2 would be huge.

I drive a rotary engine and overheating would be catastrophe.

Thanks!
  • Ok understand. I need to figure out how to fit it there. I have some other changes planned to the timer as well, so I should think about this same time.
  • Just curious if you had any idea when the next version is due out? I have a few track days coming up, and am eager to try out any new features.

Thanks!
  • Hi, probably two weeks away from new beta version.
  • Aol--I just picked up a ELM 327 OBD to work on our 981--it works fine with RC--but I see the temps are currently in just centigrade. Did I miss a conversion to Fahrenheit or has that not been developed yet?
  • mr986, no .F conversion yet, but it's a popular request so it's coming soonish.
  • Aol--great, looking forward to it; keep up the good work.

BTW, (FWIW) my current setup on the 2013 981 S is:
    ELM 327 mini OBD (blue)
    818XT gps
    Samsung Reverb w/4.1 adroid OS
    RC 2.34 android version

All parts seem to be working together fine.
  • Any chance the beta will be ready by Friday? I'd love to test it on the track Saturday :)
  • felixw, should be out by Friday. No OBD-related changes coming on this beta, but much improved sharing and exporting.
  • Any update on these requests? Thanks.
  • Only the Fahrenheit is done so far, but it's only in v2.45 beta, so currently you need to join the beta group to get it. I will improve the gauges and timer probably during the winter, so I will look at these other changes at that time.
  • Cool! I just really need them for April.
  • Still any chance of these features? I need them soon! Thanks.
  • edited April 2014
    felixw: Unfortunately I'm running very late on v3.00 features, so I'll have to postpone these to be able to make the release. I'll promise to put these on my post-v3.00 roadmap. So I will be looking at them probably May - early june.
  • Having them by end of June would be great since that is when I really need coolant real-time info due to summer heat.
  • Hi there,

I've got an engine that uses a variation of a Japanese JOBD protocol - so technically it's not OBD2 compliant, but using a special string of initialisation commands into the android app 'torque' apon start up, I can stream OBD2 data back to my tablet. However since it relies on the custom startup commands, OBD2 wont work in any other program for this engine.

Would it be possible to add a custom string to send to the OBD2 unit?

To initialise the device I need to enter:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8213F0 \n ATSP4 \n 0100

It would be super awesome if I could get OBD data into Racechrono!

Thanks.
  • Roman, oh that's interesting. I'll have a look at some point after I get the v3.00 released.
  • Just curious still looking like end of June timeframe?
  • edited June 2014
    felixw: It's looking like mid-July now, as the development of v3.10 took much longer than anticipated. I will look at this and some urgent video related features next! Please join the beta group so you can get it week or so earlier.
  • Hi, roman! how did you found init commands for your ECU? I have same problem with JDM 2002 Forester - I can't read anythin except for voltage troug obd2 port...
  • felixw: Sorry for being slow with the development, so probably missed the season for these features... The video stuff has kept me much busier than expected during the summer.
  • I'm in the same boat as Roman(same init code as well, wonder if we have the same car?!), is this functionality available yet?
  • no, not available yet
  • Hi, Obd support for jdm vehicles would be great. I just bought elm327 to use with racechrono, but sadly found out it doesn't work on my 2003 jdm sti :(
  • I also need to be able to input an initialisation string for my obd reader to work. I use the Torque app on my phone with the init string which works great, but i'd like to be able to log the data with Racechrono if possible.
  • Hi was wondering if you have any luck looking into jobd working with chrono as with my import 350z chrono can't display info from the ecu but with the app car gauge from play store it works straight away. Is there any info I can forward you from that app that might help?

All help on this would be grateful and I enjoy using your but would like more data to input on my track days.

Cheers
  • edited June 2015
    First thing to try is to set "RaceChrono > Settings > Expert Settings > OBD-II protocol" to something else than automatic. If you know your car's protocol, pick that. You should be able to trial-and-error it too. Some cheap chinese OBD-II readers have buggy auto-detection code.
  • Hi thanks for the reply I have went through them all but won't display anything I also used the same protocol car gauge used but just won't display info but does connect to bt adapter ok. As I says chrono looks to have the same problem as torque with jdm import cars so I am thinking it must just be a command string needs added or changed.
    Is there anyway I can upload pictures to show how car gauge menu works?

Cheers all info is helpful.